Sunday, April 02, 2006

I decided to do away with my intro sequence with the music and pretty background images. They were cool-looking and I liked how they gave a consistent look to each episode (especially considering how different my episodes are) but, in the long run, people don’t give a crap about the name and mission of the blog. They just want to see the “content.” (I’ll write some other time about how much I hate that word.)

I understand why this is. So many blogs start with intros by the filmmaker and inevitably, people’s vanity peeks through. Unless you’re funny or have something interesting to say, please just start the film. I have a similar negative reaction to people who screen rough cuts of their films and spend five minutes before they start it making excuses and providing explanations about why it looks a certain way, etc. If you have to preface a screening with so much information, maybe it's not the right time to screen it.

So, from now on, I’ll just introduce the clips here and give a context to each one that way. People can either read it or not.

Next week's entry will be a short from a friend – my first presentation by another filmmaker other than myself. In the meantime, write a comment and let me know what you think of my lil' video blog.

In other news, I'm going to try and promote one other video blog each week in an attempt at spreading good karma in the blogosphere.

This week's recommendation is not technically a videoblog -- It's Rian Johnson's personal website (www.rcjohnso.com). He's the writer/director of the new film, BRICK. If you've been living in a hole, you probably don't know that BRICK is a murder mystery set in a California high school. Cool idea, eh? Anyway, I haven't seen it yet, but, based on a Mr. Johnson's website, I bet it's going to be pretty fun.

The cool thing about Johnson's website is that it's not just some opportunity for self promotion. In fact, it's pretty damn entertaining. Check out his pictures from BRICK's production, but also definitely check out some of his silly films he made as a kid, particularly NINJA KO, ORAGAMI MASTER featuring a ninja oragami master who can fashion a car out of a cigarette.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home